Residency: Resident Benefits
In addition to the warm, family environment CHKD offers, we strive to provide our residents with an inviting benefit package.
Residents are paid monthly for a total of 12 stipend checks each academic year (direct deposit available/encouraged). Stipend rates are reviewed annually in March; the current guaranteed rates are listed below:
|Resident Year||Basic Salary|
Residents receive 21 days of PAID vacation per year, plus an additional 5-6 day PAID holiday break (during either Christmas or New Year's). The amount of vacation that can be taken at one time is determined by the program director.
Sick leave may be taken with full pay and benefits for up to 4 weeks. Maternity and paternity leave provisions are also provided.
Educational leave is granted at the program director's discretion and is approved through the EVMS GME office; this is leave with full pay and benefits, separate from vacation days.
To assist with relocation expenses, a "matched student" who moves to the Hampton Roads area to begin residency will receive up to $750.
These funds may be used by residents for their choices of medical books, journals, software, and professional meetings/membership fees.
|Resident Year||Fund Amount|
Catered lunches are served daily at every Noon Conference while continental breakfasts are served at several morning conferences. Meal vouchers are also provided. Don't forget about Teng's tasty treats, always available in the Residency (CHKD 2nd floor) office!
Each year, residents have options to receive a variety of personalized work attire - lab coats, shirts, scrubs - free of charge.
The following items are issued for daily use during residency, FREE of charge:
* a 16GB Wi-Fi Apple iPad
* an alpha-numeric pager
BOOKS AND SOFTWARE
Also provided at NO CHARGE:
* PALS and NRP textbooks
* Harriet Lane
* Textbooks/e-books (when available) for all required rotations and many electives
* PREP Curriculum - Pediatric Board study material
HEALTH, DENTAL, LIFE AND DISABILITY INSURANCE
Residents may select from the EVMS plan offerings which provides hospital, medical, and major medical benefits to themselves and their immediate family members. Dental coverage through Anthem is offered to our residents at cost.
Term life insurance is available the date a resident actually commences duties (equal to the annual stipend, rounded-up to the next whole thousand). Policy proceeds are payable to the resident's estate or designated beneficiary of their choice. Long term disability insurance is equal to sixty percent of the gross salary when combined with social security and other benefits.
PROFESSIONAL LIABILTY INSURANCE
Professional liability insurance covering medical activities clearly defined within the scope of the residency program is provided by EVMS at NO COST to our residents.
* Annual Kingsmill Fall retreat for all residents
* American Rover Cruise to welcome new interns - See PHOTOS
* Departmental social functions
* Resident get-togethers
* Commodore Theater Movie Nights - Dinner and the Big Screen!
OTHER BENEFITS / PERKS
* Large, secure, and centrally located Resident lounge complete with:
call rooms, lockers, showers, fridge, microwave, NEW computers, LCD TV, DVD, and a Wii
* Free and secure parking adjacent to the Children's Hospital
* 25% discount on ATT wireless service
* 22% discount on Verizon wireless service
* Discounted theme park tickets (Ocean Breeze, Busch Gardens)
* Full service medical library; 24-hour hospital library available
* Moonlighting opportunities for PL-2 and PL-3 residents
* Endless supply of coffee/espresso/cappuccino available in the Residency office.